Alexandria, VA family dentistry protects all aspects of a healthy mouth. Checking for decay, gum disease and other health concerns, plus professionally cleaning to remove harmful plaque, preventative family dentistry preserves smiles for years. At Gibberman Dental, Paul Gibberman DDS, Lauren B. Gibberman DDS and Bindu Vemaraju DDS place a high priority on prevention and offer a comprehensive list of restorative and cosmetic services, too.
Prevent Problems with Alexandria, VA Family Dentistry
The American Dental Association says that dental decay is one of the most prevalent health conditions in the country today. Even children between the ages of 5 and 9 have at least one cavity or one filling in their mouths. Plus, advanced gum disease is the primary cause of tooth loss in American adults.
To keep ahead of these threats to oral health, Dr. Paul Gibberman and his associate dentists advise all their patients--from young children to older adults--to have routine dental exams and cleanings twice a year. The idea is to spot issues, such as decay, while small and easily treated. As such, a regular check-up at Gibberman Dental includes:
- visual inspection for decay
- periodontal probing of gum pockets to check for gum disease
- assessment of bite and jaw alignment
- a quick and painless check for oral cancer on the tongue, roof of the mouth, cheeks and gums
- gums to swell, bleed and be tender
- pus at the gum line
- gum recession
- destruction of the supporting bone in the jaw (alveloar ridge)
- tooth mobility and tooth loss